UPCA Meeting Minutes
May 26, 2015
Meeting came to order at 6:36 PM at the University Park Library by Maceo George, President.
Other Officers in attendance:
Harry Lang – Vice President
Judi Wolfe – Secretary and Scribe
Laurel Conderman – CPAC Coordinator
Pledge of Allegiance
- Next UPCA Meeting will be June 23rd at the University Park Library.
- Jeannie Denton-Scheck, Real Estate Agent, will be guest speaker. Topic will be Arlington real estate property values.
- Post Office National Food Drive – May 9 – Collected 270,000 pounds of food nationally.
- Benefits kids and the elderly in our neighborhood.
- Hazardous Waste Collections – June 13th – Last year 7,000 cars between 7:00 AM and 12:00 PM.
- Ed Austin Regional Park, 2450 Monument Rd. Last year was run very efficiently.
- Garage Sale May 30th.
- Advertising will be posted on web site, signes will be posted in neighborhood.
- Did anyone receive e-mail from Jim Walker about meeting tonight?
- Biggest response was “No”.
- Discussion about purchasing for volunteers and officers.
- Maceo distributed pictures of T-Shirts samples.
- It was suggested that the lettering be larger.
- Free to volunteers who are very important, and board members.
- Members can purchase either type of shirt, volunteer t-shirt or board member golf type shirt.
- Jim Shields stated that he could purchase either type of shirt for ½ less than current bid. They could be 100% cotton or polyester/cotton blend.
- Jim to get price of 100% cotton and cotton/ polyester blend.
- Start keeping a list of volunteers and their sizes and preferred color.
- Harry has the list and will reach out to members.
- Do we want the neighborhood logo on the shirt? Currently the gate is the logo.
- Come up with different ideas for next month.
- City Elections
- Joyce Morgan won for District 1.
- During the April meeting, we had the opportunity to hear from Joyce and other candidates.
- Would like to invite her to one of our meetings.
Treasurer’s Report – No Report
Vice President – Harry Lang
- Question posed to the attendees, what would you like to hear in the future?
- Vote by mail?
- Recycling large items
- Health screening
- Blood Pressure
- Sugar Level
- Planet Fitness
- Disaster Recovery
- Evacuation Routes
- Renew Arlington
- Dolphin Project
- How to add members- increase revenue
- Add an envelope to go out with flyers.
- Suggested to have meeting minutes and as well as other information sent to members via e-mail.
- Currently have 150 e-mail addresses
- Annual meal for members.
- When to have the annual meal, in the fall?
- Block Party
- Kids Activity
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Kids Bike Parade
- Create a Calendar of Events for the Year for UPCA.
- It was suggested that UPCA do e-mail blasts to all member e-mails on a regular basis to keep them interested.
- Maceo to check with Jim Walker.
- Maceo asked who was getting e-mails from Jim Walker.
- Want $50 to plant flowers at gates.
CPAC Report – Laurel Conderman – Full report posted on web site
- Code Enforcement
- Next month, June, looking for code violations in Arlington area.
- Cameras at intersections are for traffic control and not for traffic violations.
- Office of Economic Development – A consultant has been hired to address “Renew Arlington”. They will focus on housing, transportation and housing.
- JTA, Jacksonville Transportation Authority, Change Kernan to 6 lanes from Atlantic to Matthew Unger, then 4 lanes to McCormack. Also, Girvin to 5 lanes from from Atlantic to Ashley Melisse.
Meeting adjourned at 7:44 PM.